Village of Yagyu

Houtoku-ji Temple Brochure (Front)  Houtoku-ji Temple Brochure (Back)

◆Village of Yagyu   Houtoku-ji Temple Brochure (Front)

 Explanation in English is available below.

Village of Yagyu Houtoku-ji Temple Brochure

◆Rinzai-shu (Daitokuji-temple sect) / History of Jingosan houtoku-ji temple

Jingosan Houtoku-ji temple was built in 1638 by Munenori Tajima Yagyu to pray for the late Munemitsu Sekishusai, and later, it became the family cemetery for the Yagyu family. (Their family cemetery in Edo or presently Tokyo is in Shitaya-Kotoku-ji temple)After the death of Munenori, 200 koku (rice production amount) in Shou Yagyu village were added to the land for the temple domain by Shogun Iemitsu's wish on the new year day in 1647. In addition, after the youngest son Mutsumaru at age of 11 was sent to be supervised by Priest Tenyu in Daitoku-ji temple, he eventually became the first master priest for this temple. The master name is Priest Gisen Retsudo (1636-1702). The building during the Retsudou era was unfortunately burned down by the great fire in 1711, but the statue of Munemori which was created in 1651 by a Buddhist statue sculptor in Kyoto with order of his son Munefuyu Hidanokami before his father's 7th anniversary and the statue of Monk Takuan which was created in 1657 by the same sculptor were fortunately escaped from the disaster; therefore, those statues with the atmosphere of ancient times are still remained with the right/left platform of the Sakyamuni statue at present. While the building was being devastated after the abolition of domain and the encampment of Masakizaka, the mountain gate, the mortuary chapel, and the temple bell with the inscription of Priest Takuwan were sold during the late Meiji period, and the temple without the master was facing an abolishment crisis with the deactivation. In 1921, Motoo Yagyu as a descendant of Bishu-Yagyu donated huge amount of money by will of his brother or the late Kazuyoshi Yagyu, and then the temple fate finally started getting better as its recovery construction for the main building. In 1926, Sadayoshi Hashimoto visited the temple and achieved the recovery for both physical and mental aspects such as maintenance of temple territory, expansion of building, and establishment of Kensei-kai, then after the war, he also renewed the surroundings as managing the Seibigaku dormitory for child welfare facility and constructing Dojo of Masakizaka-Kenzen until now.

January 24, 1972 The death of Yoshisada / Posthumous title: Zen Master Priest Daitoku Toudou Yoshisada. Later, Priest Tsugunao Hashimoto became the chief priest.

The main building and the grave of the Yagyu family were officially designated as the cultural heritage of Nara-city in 1992, and disassembling and repairing the main building was started at the time and completed in 1996.

Village of Yagyu