<<Encounter with old temple and Buddhist stature ･･･It is a historical
■Yagyu Shinkage-ryu (a style of swordsmanship)
Muneyoshi Sekishusai closely taught the secret skills of Yagyu Shinkage-ryu
of Isenokami Kamiizumi during the late war period, and founded Yagyu Shinkage-ryu
with a newly established Muto-no-jutsu (fighting style without sword).
His 5th son, Munenori Tajimanokami, served for the Shogun family such as
Shogun Hidetada and Iemistu as an instructor and close adviser for the
art of war and also was engaged in the important job of inspector-general
as joining the class of feudal lord with 10,000 goku (rice production amount
in domain). Munenori was trained for Zen with Priest Takuan and broke new
ground of sublime swordsmanship with combination of sword and Zen. His
first son, Jubei, was a superior swordsman for both academics and martial
art of sword. He traveled all over Japan for 10 years, taught his skills
and thoughts to over 13,600 apprentices in Japan as establishing Dojo (training
center) throughout the nation, and then wrote the esoteric knowledge of
the Yagyu style called "Tsuki-no-shou" eventually.
■Old residence of chief retainer of the Yagyu domain
The magnificent stone wall seen in the west road is a part of the old residence
of Chief retainer Oyamada who restored the financial situation for the
Yagyu domain and there is a description on the wall as saying "A stone
craftsman from Owari region (presently Aichi prefecture) constructed the
residence in 1841". The residence was sold in 1956 but a writer Souhachi
Yamaoka owned the residence in 1961 and then the idea of NHK period drama
"Haru-no-sakamichi (sloping road in spring)" was developed here.
In 1980, the residence was donated to Nara-city from the deceased's family
Mr. & Mrs. Kenji Yamaoka by will of Sohachi Yamaoka. Nara-city renovated
the residence and the background information materials have been exhibited
to public at a part of the main building.
There was an old Japanese cedar at the foot of the Yagyu-shimocho hill.
People call the cedar, Jubei. In 1598, when one-eyed Mitsuyoshi Jubei Yagyu
was about leaving to travel all over Japan, he visited his ancestor's grave
and it is said that the cedar was planted at the time. After 350 years
since then, the cedar died due to lightning strike as we can see it now.
■Ittou-seki (Stone slashed into two by sword)
It is a huge stone at Toiwa-dani valley with approximately 7 m in all directions
and slashed into two at middle. When Muneyoshi Yagyu during the training
stepped into Toiwa-dani valley, he found Tengu (long-nosed goblin) and
fought with him. At that time, Munenori thought he cut Tengu with his sword,
but he actually slashed the huge stone into two. This is why the stone
is called, Ittou-seki now.
■Housou Jizo (Guardian deity of children)
The inscription was written on the lower right of Housou Jizo with halting
words being interpreted as "From 1428, 4 villages of Kanbe will not
hold any debt", and it is said that this indicates the exceptional
inscription of debt moratorium in Japan.
A huge panorama scene with 800,000 irises in 10,000㎡ of the big flower
■Yagyu iris garden
Yagyu iris garden with beautiful and colorful irises as grown gregariously in the Yagyu village.
From here, please slowly enjoy the day in early summer of Yagyu village to the encampment remain, Houtoku-ji temple, and the chief retainer residence.
●The best viewing season will be from early to mid June.
TEL.0742-94-0858 (only during the season)